Cosmology and Exoplanets
Nobel Prize for Physics 2019: Universe evolution and exoplanet discovery - short science news and articles

James Peebles’ contribution to understanding the physical cosmology which spurred the research of the entire field over the last 50 years earned him the Nobel Prize for Physics this year. The theoretical framework which he developed in 1960 forms the basis of our current ideas of the universe.

His models predicted that while only 5% of the Universe is matter such as Stars, planets etc, the rest 95% is an unknown dark matter and dark energy which continues to challenge modern physics.

The other half of the Nobel Prize for Physics this year is shared by Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz who discovered the first exoplanet (planet outside our solar system). This discovery revolutionized astronomy and since then 4000 exoplanets have been found in our Milky Way.

Read the full story: The Nobel Prize


Related Articles